What is SAM?
The System for Award Management (SAM) is a Federal Government owned and operated website that consolidates the capabilities in CCR/FedReg, ORCA, and EPLS. Future phases will add the capabilities of other systems used in Federal procurement and awards processes. SAM registration is a FREE registration.
How to register your entity in SAM
Step 1: Obtain a DUNS Number. This is a FREE service.
A D&B D-U-N-S Number is a unique nine-digit sequence recognized as the universal standard for identifying and keeping track of over 100 million businesses worldwide. Why should you have a D-U-N-S Number?
- The US Government and the Commonwealth of Virginia require their suppliers and contractors/subcontractors to have a DUNS no.
- It enables potential customers, suppliers and lenders to easily identify and learn about your company.
- It enhances the credibility of your business in the marketplace.
To obtain your DUNS number go to www.dnb.com and follow the links for the online registration as a government contractor.
Step 2: Getting registered in the System for Award Management (SAM).
Before going to the SAM website to start your registration, make sure you have the following information on hand:
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes
- Federal Supply Codes (FSC) and Product Services Codes (PSC) refer to products and services. To identify your FSC codes go to http://www.dlis.dla.mil/H2/H2home.aspx and to identify your PSC codes click here
- Business start date
- E-mail address
- Fiscal Year close date
- TIN - Tax Identification # - EIN or SSN
- Average number of employees
- Annual revenues (last 3 years average)
- Type of business
- Financial information: Bank routing number, Account number and the Bank's telephone number or e-mail address
- Points of contact for your Company
You must first register for your account at www.sam.gov. Once you have verified your account, you can then register as a new entity. The SAM website has useful information to assist you with your registration.
Step 3: Set up the Dynamic Small Business Search profile in the supplemental pages to the SAM registration.
Once you've completed the SAM registration you will see a link for SBA Register or Update your SBA Profile. Make sure you click on it and follow the steps. By setting up and updating your profile in the SBA's Supplemental pages, Federal Agencies and prime contractors looking for subcontractors can find your company in the Dynamic Small Business Search. One can search by location, different types of set-asides, NAICS codes, cage codes, etc.
You will need to identify your NAICS (North American Industry Classification System) 6 digit codes pertaining to your business.
- Go to:census.gov/epcd/www/naics.html
- Enter a key word pertaining to the work your business performs, i.e. construction, electric, mechanical, janitorial, etc. and then click on NAICS 2007 search.
- You will see a list of descriptions with the NAICS code in blue. Write down all the codes that apply. Keep typing in keywords until you have all the NAICS codes that apply to your business.